Sunday, December 14, 2014

Rest In Peace, Sy Berger

I think you will see a lot of these posts today. I hope so.

This is my only Sy Berger card:
There are two others, and I will own them someday. I think I want to try my luck at ripping another box of the 2011 Lineage release, which had a /60 on-card autograph that I have always wanted - one of only two autographs I truly wish to own.

Here are some links on the brief details:



And here is the gold standard, the New York Times obituary. If you are not an NYT subscriber and have read all of your ten free articles this month, I suggest finding another electronic device which still has some space on it's NYT cookie to read this one, quite good:


Here is perhaps his last interview:


In the hobby of baseball cards, you never stop learning little tidbits of information about the game, the players, and the cards themselves. I write this blog to share those tidbits I discover, in hopes you enjoy them as well, though venting my opinions on cards might out-number those tidbits all too often. This afternoon I was researching ways to contact someone to chat with for a post I hope to write, though it isn't anyone at Topps, and along the way I stumbled across this news. In the article from Sports Collector Daily, I saw a picture of the bottom of a box of 1952 Topps for the first time.

I think the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of the text on the bottom of the box are a just exactly perfect epitaph for Sy Berger:

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some baseball cards to sort. Thank You, Sy Berger!

1 comment: