Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Baseball Card TV

You really can't beat a horizontal baseball card.


Though you can scan them running downhill a little. Oops.


And you could have put them in binder pages so the #s run from top left to bottom right. Second oops.


'course, a sub-set builder could also rule out sub-sub-sets, like the leader cards. Third oops.


and those team celebration shots, do we really need those? Fourth oops.


For the most part though, horizontal cards speak for themselves. Even with the sound off.


uhh-ohh, fault-conflict in sub-sub-set rule at location 282. Should we leave Russell Martin on the TV here? What then to do with the 2 cards with lurking TV cameras on them? Subset problems. Problematic subsets. An Artificial Intelligence computer will never be able to sort baseball cards very well.


But people make mistakes, like not bothering to crop a scan when they are tired. 5th oops. Maybe you do need a baseball card robot to take care of these things for you. Little details like counting the cards.

60 of these in Series One, of 330 = 18.1818181818181818%

That's about 18%, or almost but not quite 1 card in 5. This seems like a high ratio. I can only wonder if it is as high as in the 1973 set, or the 1991. Or set years missing from my memory collection up there in the ole noggin. This will give me something to keep investigating with the little rectangular pieces of card-stock.

However only 44 of these feature a named player. And not even all 44 are a standard issued single player baseball card, as some of the playoff cards put a hero-player name on the front, some put a team name on the front. Pursuing that line leaves us with 38 horizontal baseball players. The 22 League Leader and Playoffs cards, along with 5 checklist cards, makes for a Series One of 303 baseball picture cards.

And thus we actually have 38 horizontal players, of 303 = 12.5%, or 'zactly 1 out of 8 player cards.

A favorite? On which page? I don't pick favorites when I watch TV. I like all baseball players on TV, usually. It's reading about them later that makes me not like some of them.

But I like too many of these cards to pick a favorite, or run a final count-down. How do those bloggers do that? Drawing cards out of a hat? That's how I would have to do it.

I can't even organize my cards right sometimes. I know I could make these pages look even better. But that's the great thing about baseball cards. There's always next Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment